- Treatment is simple and involves using a special cream or lotion. The doctor will advise you on what treatment to use and how to use it.
- You apply the cream or lotion usually to the whole body from the neck downwards. This ideally should be done overnight. The treatment should be rinsed off after 12 hours.
- You should wash clothing, bedding and towels in a washing machine on a very hot cycle (50°C higher) to kill the mites and avoid re-infection.
- You may want to consider having a sexual health check to make sure you do not have sexually transmitted infection.
- Close contacts in your household should be treated at the same time, as well as your sexual partner, even if they do not have any signs or symptoms.
- There is no evidence that complementary therapies can cure scabies.